Monday, May 17, 2010

Foils and Stuff

We had a great weekend in Santa Barbara. Richard's consistency is definitely something I'm going to have to try to emulate. The starts were kinda fun and with more wind and flatter water in the right, I started on port tack every race. Since it was pretty much a drag race to the right corner, there weren't many opportunities to pass if you made a boat handling mistake, and I made a bunch.
I'm gonna try to fix Richard's chewed up mainfoil from Long Beach. It's the first time I've had a chance to take a look at a Mach2 mainfoil up close. I always assumed that they were much lower area than my Fastacraft mainfoil, but after looking at them next to each other, its closer than I thought.

Anonther thing that stood out was the small flap movement. My foil has a whole lot of flap range. See the pics:


I couldn't hold the flap down and take the picture with my other hand very well but here's my best attempt at showing the amount of flap the M2 foil has:
My best attempt at measuring the flap down from my best guess at the neutral point is about 11-12 degrees for the M2 and 18-19 degrees for the Fastacraft. The M2 flap is bigger than the Fastacraft, so maybe that's how you can get away with less range. I think I'm gonna try limiting my flap movement some and see how it works.


2 comments:

  1. Thanks Nat, the M2 flap down is a tiny range of motion vs say my old BR. But seesm to work. Guess this is why AMAC gets frustrated when we paint the foils and "fill in" the curve, or what ever you call it" on the bottom of the flap! Barrel nut is ordered and on its way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, I was wondering if there is any one still in Long Beach sailing Moths. I am very interested about the class and was wondering if I could talk to anyone from this area about Mothing?
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete